Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Latest Accomplishment

I've never made one of these before. Although there is some knitting involved, most of the work is strategizing (dare I call it designing?) and assembling. Here is the finished result, doing what it's supposed to do, i.e. protect my bony butt from the hard surface of an ancient Hitchcock chair.



The pattern, a free download from Ravelry (perhaps from elsewhere too), is called "Attractive Cushion Cover." It is NOT a modern pattern. What does this mean? It means no tutorials and minimal directions. No problem if you are already adept at short rows and have had experience casting on, binding off, and grafting an object that is short-rowed around in a circle. Fortunately the Arbacia Hat incorporates all these features, so I have already served my apprenticeship.


Knitting the little circles with leftover yarn was the easiest part. Thirty-six stitches gave the 15-inch diameter I wanted, and turning every three stitches made the pie slices a nice size. And grafting the beginning to the end Lucy-Neatby-style is super easy with this thick yarn. Also having done it once, I knew that it was best to tighten up the work as I went along. Once finished, it's nearly impossible to distinguish the grafting from the stitches.



I thought the teensy hole in the middle would look better covered, so while the pieces were blocking I strolled over to Alamitos Bay Yarn Company (Have I mentioned that I absolutely love living a short walk from a marvelous yarn store?) and procured some cute buttons. The two tones of silver on the buttons perfectly match the two shades of gray on the cushion. Button perfection has been attained.


I used a strand of each yarn to sew the pieces together, so the cranberry and gray would mix and have that "I meant to do it" look. I think this is called Whipstitch, but I couldn't swear to it. My hands often remember how to do things that my brain has long since forgotten.

I finished most of the sewing and then began stuffing, only to discover that the cushion did not look quite right (no pic of this phase). I had fastened each button to its appropriate side, but in order to get the depression in the middle I needed to fasten the buttons to each other. A little stuffing removal and fishing about inside to hitch up the two button shanks with a bit of yarn took care of that problem.

And so we have . . .

A dark gray side



And a light gray side



The coolest thing about this "pattern" is that you can use any weight of yarn, any number of stitches, turn on whatever number of stitches gives a wedge size you like, and use however many colors you want. Perfect for leftovers.

10 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Utter satisfaction-and so practical , too! I love to meet a need with my own 2 hands-and beautiful to boot!

bspinner said...

What a perfect project!!! Using left over yarn together with great buttons to keep your butt comfy.

LOVE your chair!

Kath said...

That turned out really well! I like the name too. :)

Sheila said...

That is a very cool pillow. And your backside will be very comfortable.

Luni said...

Very cute, and so functional. You should put straps on it, so it won't slide around.

Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, I love it! What a fabulous pattern. Useful objects that are also beautiful are a Good Thing.

Sharon said...

They look like peppermints - very cute!

Leigh said...

What an excellent idea. I could definitely use some of these around our house too.

Marjorie said...

Very nice, and it look wonderful on that chair.

Willow said...

Great project to finish up left over yarn.

When I lived in LA I used to pop down to Alamitos Bay Yarn Co occasionally. It is a great shop!