Monday, October 24, 2011

Roses and Roses and Roses

I went to the Orange County Rose Society's 2011 exhibition this past weekend.  Lots and lots of amazing roses. 


They were large, tiny, scented, unscented, and colors I'd never seen. Here's just a few.


This is a miniature rose, barely two inches across, floating in a silver dish. The colors are difficult to capture. The red is a medium deep maroon, and the yellow is an intense light gold.


This doesn't look like a rose at all, does it? There were a few others of the same form, more daisy-like than rose-shaped.


I love the combination of yellow and pink on this one


Yet again a traditional rose shape (with lots of petals!), but multi-colored – deep pink and white.


The curling petals on this one definitely curled my toes.


I think this one might be my favorite – just enough petals to look like a rose, but not so many as the pink-and-white one. And that incredible pale pink with deeper pink at the edges – yum!


I didn't get any pictures of the roses that won the prize for best scent. Darn! One was peach-colored and had a deep, almost musky scent, and the other was lavender with a lighter, sharper smell. Both wonderful.

10 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Nothing like a rose show to thrill the senses! I especially like the yellow and pink one!

Marsel said...

Those are gorgeous!

Knitting Linguist said...

Amazing! And people choose those boring red ones, with all of this glorious variety available...

Sharon said...

I grew up in SoCal and roses were a part of my life. I so wish they loved the high desert as much as I love them. The curling petals have always been my favorites and I especially loved Abraham Lincoln and Stirling Silver. Lucky you.

Marjorie said...

What beautiful pictures. And it is nice to see roses. Around here, we get displays like that in June.

www.swanky-art.com said...

Loved it! My favorite was yours too. Nothing like the beauty of roses. Photos were great!

Politics, Painting, Poetry and Ponderings said...

Love your parrots!

Politics, Painting, Poetry and Ponderings said...

Parrot flocks and diamond socks - oh my! Talent!

Politics, Painting, Poetry and Ponderings said...

I love your trees. What a treat.

Tina T-P said...

Wow, that last rose is stunning! There is a lavender rose called Sterling Silver that has a wonderful fragrance - I wonder if that's what won the prize?

And nice work on spinning the mill ends - We spun from silk caps at guild on Saturday - it was fun, but what a lot of work! T.