Hat Number Two – the Red Beret – was actually completed last week, but I was off on an extended trip to the mainland and thus unable to document its arrival into the world. The pattern is Beret Easy, and it is indeed an incredibly easy pattern. You begin with six stitches, increase six times on every round up to a certain point, then decrease at the same points where you increased until the hat fits snugly around the head. A small hem, a little sewing down of the live stitches, and you are done.
I used a cast-on called "Thom Christoph's Circular Beginning" from "A Gathering of Lace." Amazing how this cast-on snugs up the start. There is no hole at all. Granted, this was a DK weight yarn, less susceptible to the leaving behind of little holes than a laceweight. Which yarn is it? Heh.
Does this look familiar? Yep, I had an entire 100gm skein of Schoolhouse Press Quebecoise left over from this vest. Little Red Beret used most of it, just a wee squib left over. Although I'm very pleased with the result – love the shape and especially the color – I'd like to knit this pattern again with a different, softer yarn. The Quebecoise is a rather stiff yarn, perfect for the twisted stitches of the Clock Vest, and it gives a lot of definition to the shape of Little Red Beret as well. I wonder if a softer yarn would produce a more slouchy beret for a different look.
And just to prove I am no coward, here is a full frontal, taken the day of my return when I was seriously sleep deprived. I discovered, howsoever, that appearance-wise there is an upside to being puffy-faced from fatigue. No wrinkles. A striking resemblance to a chipmunk, but no wrinkles. Well, not quite so many as usual anyway.