Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Semi Satisfactory Sakiori

Remember this pattern? Probably not. I hardly remember it myself. According to my Ravelry project file, I started knitting the Sakiori Vest in October 2007. Yikes! The knitting was completed in Spring 2008, but that surfaced a fit issue, and Sakiori took an extended sabbatical. The little side pieces made the vest hang oddly. That plus the absence of shoulder shaping gave it a blocky, too-big appearance. I suspect this vest would look best on a much larger person.


The most important thing I learned here? Never, never, never knit an item of clothing that is not modeled by a human being. Much as I love Cheryl Oberle's "Folk Vests" (from which this pattern was taken), every single vest in the book is photographed lying flat. Not helpful. Another clue should have been the absence of any pictures of the vest on the actual body of one of the 20-30 Ravellers who have knit it. A few claimed to like it, but supplied no pix in support of this supposed devotion.



While Sakiori was hibernating I thought of sewing up the sides and putting a zipper in the front. But I couldn't decide how long the zipper should be. In the end I simply sewed up both sides and the front to about the same point and turned it into a pullover.


I'm happy with this as something warm to wear around the house, but not so sure about public appearances. The shoulders have a "take me to your leader" look, not so very fashion forward. But I love all the colors and especially the memories of the socks I knit with these leftover bits. On the upper right front there is some yarn from the first pair of socks I ever made.


Interestingly, Cheryl Oberle's newest book "Knitted Jackets" has a pattern – the Wabi Sabi Jacket -- that looks just like the Sakiori with solid-color sleeves added. See what I mean? At first I was tempted to run with the idea and knit on some sleeves. But this project has taken up enough time and brain space. It's not perfect, but it will do. And, like all the best projects, it has been a valuable learning experience.

8 comments:

Knitting Linguist said...

I like it in its newest incarnation -- for public consumption and all!

Delighted Hands said...

You have done a great job of salvaging this vest....It fits nicely now and is fit for public consumption!:') Good success for the New Year.

Leigh said...

I've had my eye on this very pattern for a long time so I was very interested in this post. The side seam treatment really seemed to help the overall fit. I wonder if shoulder shaping could to done to help? I'm not that expert of a knitter, so I don't know for sure. But I still do like the vest!

Sharon said...

I bow at our feet. That vest was on my thinking about doing list. My questions have been answered. It does have that "take me to your leader" look that I found troubling. Thanks for your honest appraisal.

SNOWBIRD said...

The vest looks great with your revisions! I like the tam in your previous post too! Happy New Year to you and happy knitting in 2009!

Marjorie said...

I think it turned out very well, but I also have been contemplating patterns that aren't modeled (since I'm knitting one now). But Ravelry did come to the rescue--14 people have used the pattern and several have modeled it.

bspinner said...

Your vest, like all your projects, turned out wonderfully!!!!! I love it!!!

Lucia said...

I quite like it. I had already been thinking about vests (much of my sweaterphobia being really sleevophobia) and will now think about them some more.